Your first semester enrolled in the AAC!
This course will be filled with other students who are also new to the AAC. It's offered both in-person or online - you choose what format works best for you!
You get to meet with a Retention Specialist for one-on-one help! Set up a meeting with them at any point throughout the entire semester!
Peer Mentor Support
You will also get to connect with a fellow CSU student to help you navigate your transition!
#1- Participate in & complete the Arrive seminar.
#2- Meet with your Retention Specialist at least two times.
#3- Meet with your peer mentor at least one time.
* * Participation in community events & tutoring is highly encouraged!
countdown to the start of fall 2022 arrive seminar:
Arrive Seminar :
- The seminar is an in-person or online course for students newly admitted to the Academic Advancement Center. Students select the format that works best for their needs.
- This seminar course does not count for credit on your transcripts, however is required to be considered an active new participant in the AAC (unless you are enrolled in PASS, KEY, or admitted to the AAC mid- semester; in those cases your requirements will look a bit different).
- The course will consist of new incoming first year and transfer students, as well as continuing CSU students. While every student may be in a different part of their academic journey, all are being fully supported by the AAC for the first time.
- Through self-exploration, reflection, and planning, students will examine, define, and strengthen their transition to, and experience at, CSU. We will actively learn about academic success strategies, personal identity and well-being, and professional goal setting through group discussions, mini projects, and presentations.
- This course will provide a network for students to build community together while enriching their experience at CSU.
- We can’t wait to grow and learn alongside you!
You get to select the date, time, and format that works best for your learning style and schedule!
Section A: Tuesdays 11am-12pm
Section B: Wednesdays 1-2pm
All sessions begins during week 5 of the Fall 2022 Semester (between September 19 – September 23)
If you’re taking the course online, the first module will open at 8am on Monday 9/19. If you are enrolled in the Tuesday in-person course it begins at 11am on 9/20 in TBD. The Wednesday in-person course begins at 1pm on 9/21 in TBD.
Spring 2022 Topics & Course Schedule
|Week & Date||Session Topic|
Session 1 -Introductions & Community Building
|6 – 2/21-2/25|
Session 2- Making Connections: CSU Resources
|Fun, Food, and Community Event- Thursday 2/24|
|7 –2/28-3/4||Session 3- Academic Skills: Utilizing Academic Supports|
Session 4- Social Identity Development: Who am I?
Campus event connection- MURALS 3/25
|Spring Break 3/14-3/18|
|Session 5- Careers & Justice|
|Session 6- Academic Skills: Academic Research & Digital Literacy|
|Session 7- Financial Aid and Financial Literacy: Your Values & Money|
|Session 8- Self-Care & Mental Health: The 8 Dimensions of Wellness|
Session 9 – Goals & Student Success for the Future
Session 10- Closing : Looking Back & Looking Forward through Final Presentations
|End of semester/year celebration! Date TBD|
**The remaining 2 weeks of the semester: 5/2-5/6= study week/de-stress week & 5/9-5/13 = finals